Sugar Detox: Wrapping It Up

This is a little bit delayed as we finished our 3 week sugar detox a bit ago. It was a very interesting journey! After a week of following the detox's strict guidelines (no processed sugar as well as no natural sugars like honey, and most fruits, and no grains except wild rice and quinoa)- we decided that I needed to add more carbs in (oats, brown rice etc and some fruit) because I was not doing well. So even though we modified our guidelines, we were able to finish 3 weeks of no sugar (or honey etc). 

As the end approached I realized I was keeping myself disciplined not for the sake of the detox, but I just needed to know that I could discipline myself to follow through with something. So for that reason I am glad I did it! 

Here is my personal assessment of doing a sugar detox, I know everyone will have a different story and experience, but here is mine:

- detoxing was helpful in that I am satisfied by much less sugar than before.
- it pushed me to be creative and experiment with cooking with more whole foods

- it did not seem to improve my skin, or effect my weight at all
- it did not make me feel any different, in terms of energy or general wellness

Although I am glad I stuck with it for three weeks, this is not something I would chose to do again. I think it's wise to watch the amount of sugar you eat in general and I try to be moderate. The biggest downside to detoxing for me personally was the amount of preparation and mind space it required. I think it's important to take care of our bodies and nutrition plays a huge part in that- but I don't want it to become my identity. I want my girls to feel encouraged to take care of their bodies and see me taking care of mine, but not getting consumed with them. I want to be able to have the mind space to teach them how to love the One who made them, love who they are, and love others. 

I love that their are people passionate about nutrition, so that I can pick up their bits of advice and wisdom without having to dive full in. Maybe one day I will have the ability to multitask that extensively- but right now I am thankful for the resources I have access to, my gut instinct and GRACE. 



Before:
 
After: 


Comments

Popular Posts