A Bit on Marriage

Marriage can contain some of the loveliest moments and feelings a person can experience. It can also contain some of the hardest. The longer Rhodric and I are married and the more experiences we have together, both beautiful and dark, I realize how little couples acknowledge the hard things. What I think they are missing is that portraying your marriage as always whimsical, light, romantic and sensual sounds great, but it isn't really real. Portraying it as all those things and also acknowledging the presence of our imperfect selves and struggles, now that, I think, is true beauty.

So, I am going to try to do this more often. It is difficult at times because it's much easier to let people believe that we communicate perfectly and never have different ideals. In light of this, let me share a moment with you. Two days ago, we had poor day relationally. We loved each other we knew it and said it, but for one reason or another our communication was just off. However, we made it through the day and went to bed with toes touching. Then later I was up in the night, unable to sleep for one reason or another (lets be honest, I was eating my almost nightly midnight snack) and when I came back to bed I was freezing. Through me getting up, rummaging around, turning the light on and off, R hadn't so much as budged. But as I lay there, shivering beside him, I figured it was worth a try, "hon..... I'm so cold" I whispered. Not even a full second lapsed before he turned over covered me with a very warm leg and arm. I slipped back to sleep smiling and secure in his love. It would have been sweet if we had had a great day, but it meant the world since we hadn't!

From our wedding day- 6.11.10

Comments

  1. That was so cute! I'm sure it was meant to be sweet, poignant, and meaningful but in my head when I pictured it, it was sooo cute! ;)

    Love the midnight snack by the way! Sooo me right now but worse since I'm still nursing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts